Antibiotics Side Effects – Anal Itching
Antibiotics side effects can make you feel worse before you get better.
Some of the main side effects are headaches, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. But did you know that antibiotics can cause severe anal itching (pruritus ani)?
After having a mastectomy and two breast reconstruction surgeries, I am very familiar with cancer medication and antibiotics side effects. But it wasn’t until my third surgery that I experienced anal itching within two days of using Cephalexin (500 mg).
This blog post topic may sound crazy. But if you’re reading this, you’re already in trouble. So, let me get to the point quickly so that you find relief quickly. Read on if you are experiencing anal itching while taking oral antibiotics.
How to Stop Anal Itching
Taking antibiotics removes good bacteria from your body, it kills your gut bacteria. A fungus, or yeast infection, can grow and cause extreme anal itching. If you start feeling a deep itch in or around your anus, you should do the following (in the exact order). Unfortunately I did not know all that I am sharing with you now when I had this problem so I suffered through a terrible night. Let me spare you the pain.
- DO NOT IGNORE THE ITCH. It will get worse, guaranteed. Nothing is worse than your butt being on fire while you’re sleep. In fact, you can cause serious damage to the area if you are scratching in your sleep.
- DO NOT SCRATCH! Scratching feels so good yet hurts and burns so bad! For a long while.
- DO NOT WASH with soap and water. You are probably not itching because you didn’t clean up good enough. Soap will cause a lot more itching and burning. For a long while.
- GO to the grocery store or a drug store like CVS or Walgreens and buy Monistat 7 Anti-fungal Vaginal Yeast Infection Cream. It is on the feminine hygiene aisle near the tampons and feminine wash. Do not waste your money on the Monistat itch relief cream because it will not work. You can also buy the generic or store brand if available…the
Active Ingredient is Miconazole nitrate 2%. (Side note: Buy some q-tips or cotton balls and a few cups of yogurt.)
- HURRY home, wash your hands and remove the tube of Monistat 7 from the box. You can throw away the plastic applicators. Use a q-tip and apply a small amount of cream to the area that is itching (this may include the anus, vaginal and groin area). It may burn a little but it will pass. If it doesn’t burn, apply more. Apply a generous amount as needed with a new q-tip.
- EAT some yogurt, if only a few spoonfuls at a time. I’m not a fan of yogurt but it did calm down the itching. But it did not work without the anti-fungal cream. Trust me.
Hopefully that helped! If not, contact your doctor immediately because you must have something more serious going on. If you have any other remedies, please share the love in the comments section.